$1.95 CAN

Login 

FAQ     Search

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Musical Instrument...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:27 pm 
Eats a lot of Pi

Location: never never land (ya know... "second star to the right, and straight on til morning")
Does anyone play any musical instruments?

I'm pretty kick ass on the recorder...

Post subject: Re: Musical Instrument...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:15 pm 
First human banned from domstyle

i've almost beat guitar hero III on expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:21 pm 
Reprobate, Heretic, Infidel, Heathen, Apostate, Skeptic, Profaner, Mr.Antichrist, Coot

Used to play trombone and tuba. Own an electric bass (can't really play it though). I can kind of plunk around on the piano a little. I have a pretty decent ear and can generally figure out simple tunes. Oh, I also had to compose a little tune for a class. I may be able to make a midi of it and post it.

I was in a band in high school. I was the bassist/kazooist. We played outside after school and sometimes a few people would stop and listen. One time we actually had a crowd going a little bit, and the singer tried to get people to mosh. Basically it was him kind of pushing around the crowd and them just standing there... then security came and broke it up. The band was Gay Box of Donuts (or was it doughnuts? I don't think I ever saw it in writing...)

I was also in a band at the end of college. We had a keyboard, a bass, and a drumset (also a sax and trombone that we didn't use very often). We'd switch up who played what, but usually defaulted to the instruments we owned. Really it was just three guys jamming in the basement, but we called it: People Are Human Clay in the Hands of the Music of the C double J. Great band name if you ask me (and not just because my initial comes first).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:06 pm 
Reprobate, Heretic, Infidel, Heathen, Apostate, Skeptic, Profaner, Mr.Antichrist, Coot

Hey! I got to use my admin powers to do some good! .mid's can now be attached to posts!

I didn't add any other formats, but being able to upload .mid's is important to the name that song game. dom can add more extensions if he wants. Here's a midi of the song I composed:

Attachments:
dhammapada165.mid [1.45 KiB]
Downloaded 104 times

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:27 pm 
Eats a lot of Pi

Location: never never land (ya know... "second star to the right, and straight on til morning")
I tried to play the saxophone in 6th grade band because I wanted to be like Lisa Simpson but I wasn't very good at it. It's something that i'd like to try to pick up again one day..
I never had formal piano lessons but I taught myself and had some help learning songs from my family. It is also something I hope to get better at.
Actually, there is no instrument that I wouldn't like to learn... there's just some that I prefer to learn over others.

The only lessons I ever actually took were for guitar from my choir teacher in highschool. Sadly, I never got the classical training that I'd like to have had but I still remember the basics.

Geek wrote:
I was in a band in high school. I was the bassist/kazooist. We played outside after school and sometimes a few people would stop and listen. One time we actually had a crowd going a little bit, and the singer tried to get people to mosh. Basically it was him kind of pushing around the crowd and them just standing there... then security came and broke it up. The band was Gay Box of Donuts (or was it doughnuts? I don't think I ever saw it in writing...)

I was also in a band at the end of college. We had a keyboard, a bass, and a drumset (also a sax and trombone that we didn't use very often). We'd switch up who played what, but usually defaulted to the instruments we owned. Really it was just three guys jamming in the basement, but we called it: People Are Human Clay in the Hands of the Music of the C double J. Great band name if you ask me (and not just because my initial comes first).

Man... i've never been in a band. I've always been just a groupie. lol
As for band names... I like the latter of the two better. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:36 pm 
Eats a lot of Pi

Geek wrote:
Here's a midi of the song I composed:

That has a nice sounding soothing melody...
Good job :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:17 am 
i do what i want

Geek wrote:
Here's a midi of the song I composed:

not bad, not bad. i may have asked this before - but what notation software did you use?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:18 am 

I used to trial version of Noteworthy Composer.